Sanibel City Council To Honor Gavin & Walker Families At This Tuesday’s August 1 Meeting.
The meeting will begin at 9 AM and begin with a resolution honoring the Gavin and Walker families of Sanibel. Here is the complete Meeting Agenda.
The following is the text of the resolution honoring the Gavin and Walker families.
“In the early 1900’s the Gavin and Walker families began calling Sanibel Island home; and
- Isaiah and Hannah Gavin and Harry G. and Pearl A. Walker
were the first African Americans to settle and raise their families
on Sanibel Island; and
- The Gavin and Walker generations labor and commitment to
the building and construction of Sanibel has contributed greatly
to the fabric of the community helping to make Sanibel a
popular retreat; and
- Honesty, dignity, respect, courage, and strength are values
always displayed by members of the Gavin and Walker families.
Those family members that remain on Sanibel today display the
aforementioned values, while those members that left Sanibel
still hold close their heritage and Sanibel roots; and
- The Gavin family has served over 125 years in the United States
military with honorable discharges; and
- Values and ideals acquired in their youth from both families
during their formative years on Sanibel have allowed them to
become leaders and make major contributions in their adopted
neighborhoods throughout the United States and on Sanibel as
- The Sanibel community pays homage to the Gavin and Walker
families as they celebrate their centennial anniversary.”