Captiva Community Panel Sea Level Rise Symposium January 13 At South Seas Conference Center.
The Captiva Community Panel issued the flooring news release.
“Join us Friday, Jan. 13, 1-5 p.m. for “Now In My Back Yard,” and learn how rising seas could impact Captiva, Sanibel and Pine Island Sound. The Captiva Community Panel presents a look at sea level rise and its potential impact on our area, featuring local and regional presenters including:
- Keynote speaker Harold Wanless, Ph.D., University of Miami
- Joseph F. van Gaalen, Ph.D.; Director of Student Assessment; Florida SouthWestern State College
- Hans Wilson, PE; President, Hans Wilson & Associates, Fort Myers
- James Evans III, Director of Natural Resources, City of Sanibel
- Erin Deady, Esq. AICP; Corbett, White, Davis and Ashton; Lantana
- Christine Shepard, Ph.D.; Director of Science; The Nature Conservancy Gulf of Mexico Program, Punta Gorda
- Jason Evans, Ph.D.; Assistant Professor of Environmental Science and Studies, Stetson University, DeLand
There will be an opportunity for questions and discussion at the end. All sessions will be held at the South Seas Conference Center. Cost is $20 per person.
Planning and land use professionals are invited to attend a morning session on “The GIS Toolbox for Land Use Professionals,” 10-11:30 a.m. at South Seas. CEUs available; cost is an additional $10 per person.
These sessions are presented by South Seas Island Resort and the Captiva Community Panel, and are sponsored by the Sanibel-Captiva Islands Association of Realtors and the Florida Chapter of the American Planning Association.
There will also be a special cocktail reception to support the Community Panel and discuss Captiva issues 6-7:30 p.m., hosted by South Seas Island Resort at Kings Crown on the north end of the resort. A donation of $50 per person is requested for an open bar and heavy hors d’oeuvres.
You can register online for all three events at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sea-level-rise-symposium-tickets-29658123245?aff=captivaSLRsymposium. Information and an online registration link is at www.captivacommunitypanel.com.”