Chapel By The Sea Worship Season Begins
Chapel By The Sea has begun services for the season!
Chapel By The Sea is an inter-faith Christian ministry, and is open to all seasonally, from the second week of November through the month of April. During that time, worship occurs every Sunday at 11:00am.
“Our chapel, which is recognized in the National Register of Historic Places, is denominationally independent and welcomes everybody, regardless of their spiritual beliefs.
You will find seating within our 110 year-old chapel building, and outside in our gulf-side churchyard under the shade of seagrape, gumbo limbo, and palm trees.
Following our worship service, we offer a time of hospitality and fellowship. It’s a chance to greet old friends and meet new ones … complete with coffee, iced tea, and sweet treats.
Captiva Chapel By The Sea nurtures a strong community within, and we are committed to generously supporting mission outreach in the broader community. There is no membership roster at our church. Historically, Captiva Chapel By The Sea has solely relied on support entirely by Sunday plate collections and by voluntary gifts. That tradition continues today.
Situated adjacent to the Gulf of Mexico beach and among palm, seagrape, and gumbo limbo trees, Captiva Chapel By The Sea building was originally constructed in 1903 as a county schoolhouse and then purchased in 1921 by the Methodist Church as a mission building. During those school years, it was also used for religious services whenever a circuit preacher would be in the area. Because of the infrequency of those religious services, at a time when Captiva Island was growing in population, the chapel (then known as the Wayside Chapel) evolved into the Chapel By The Sea and services were then held with
more regularity with a circuit preacher brought over from the mainland, by ferry.
The Chapel By The Sea was re-organized in 1948 and began regular Sunday services with H.G. Pearce, D.D. followed by Rev. C.W. Kennedy serving as resident ministers for the first (November through Easter) season.
Captiva Chapel By The Sea incorporated in 1952 and was then purchased from the Methodist church in 1954. Our parsonage was built in 1965.
In 2013 the Captiva School and Chapel By The Sea Historic District was recognized by, and added to, the National Register of Historic Places.
One of the treasured traditions of Captiva Chapel By The Sea is our Christmas Eve service, enjoyed now-a-days by locals and by visitors from around the globe. The evening service concludes when worshipers from within the chapel join those gathered outside, each with a lighted candle,
and Christmas carols are sung while gulfshore waves lap closeby. This Christmas Eve candlelight caroling has been a tradition at Chapel By The Sea since 1950, when the first such service was held.”
For more information, please see Chapel Site.